Summiting Kilimanjaro is on the bucket list of many avid adventure enthusiast due to its non-technical climb. According to data, around 50,000 people each year try to summit Mount Kilimanjaro, one of the seven summits of World. However, only 60–70% of them successfully summit it.
So, if you are planning to summit Africa highest peak, then there are few things that you must consider: fitness level, learn to acclimatize and last but not the least choose the right Kilimanjaro Gear for your trek.
Your Kilimanjaro Gear plays an important role in your successful summit, therefore it is necessary to know and pack or choose the right ones for your trek. Below we listed some of Kilimanjaro gears and enlisted there weight and usefulness so, you can get knowledge about them:
1. Duffel Bag
Duffel Bag is one of the most important Kilimanjaro Gear; it helps you to pack all your mountaineering and belongings in one single bag.
Most of the tour operators recommend that your Duffle Bag should weigh not more than 20 kg. So, it is easier for the porters to carry them. However, some operators also limit it to 15 kg. So, while booking your trek ask your tour operators about the weight limit so, that you can pack accordingly.
- Always look for a duffle bag which has greater than the 80-litre capacity.
- Look for a bag that has compartments, so that you can easily store your belongings in the zipped compartments.
- Choose the bag which is waterproof or have plastic covers to cover when it rains.
- Choose a bag which has a strong zipper system and a hand & shoulder strapping system.
2. Sleeping Bag
A Sleeping Bag is an absolute necessity during your Kilimanjaro trek to keep you warm in the harsh cold weather of Kilimanjaro. So that you can have a good night sleep and rest for your next trek.
Chooses a Sleeping Bag which is lightweight and weighs around 1 kg so, it is flexible to carry around.
- Look for a bag which has inner pads and micro insulation so that you can have ultra-comfort sleeping experience.
- Choose a bag which has multi-use so that you can use it as a blanket or cushion.
- Choose a sleeping bag which is made of polyester so that it can withstand extreme harsh cold weather even in minus 18 degree Celsius.
- Look for a sleeping bag which has a hood so your head and ears are warm.
Clothes also play an important role in your Kilimanjaro Gear. The key to your Kilimanjaro Clothes is layering. So, therefore carefully choose your layers.
Weight & Usefulness
While choosing your clothes always keep mind that layering will increase your weight, therefore, select your layers carefully. Always choose a lightweight base layer and then the subsequent layers should be more than other layers so that it can protect you from the harsh cold of Kilimanjaro.
- Always layer. Sometimes the weather can be quite hot while sometimes it can be bitter cold. So, if needed you can put or take off your layer according to climate.
- Always prefer clothes with wick-able fabric and fabric which has dried quickly.
- Always choose clothes that fit you rather which are tight-fitting or loose-fitting so that it gives you flexibility.
4. Rain Jacket
Rain Jackets are made with a purpose of protecting you from the unexpected rainfall of amid your Kilimanjaro trekking. It is even useful in the dry season as it may sometimes shower without providing a sign.
Weight & Usefulness
Always pick a Rain Jacket which is lightweight so that it doesn’t feel heavy while your trek. It is very useful as it as the final layer of clothing and also protect you from rain. Even if doesn’t rain it still acts as a shield against the bitter cold of Kilimanjaro.
- Choose a rain jacket which made of 100% polyester material that is water $shower-proof so that it ensures you are dry and safe.
- Choose a rain jacket which as micro vents so that your skin pores breathe easily while blocking water.
- Choose a rain jacket which is flexible and durable to withstand the harsh mountain trekking treatment.
- Last but not least always choose a rain jacket which has a fast zip system so that it is easy to carry and wear.
5. Hiking Boots
Hiking Boots is one of the important Kilimanjaro Climbing Gear, which determines your pace of walking/trekking that determines your summit success.
Always opt for a boot which has medium-weight to heavyweight. The heavyweight boots are good for durability and cushioning. However, if you are not accustomed to heavyweight boots it is recommended that you choose medium-weight boots as the heavy boots can be tiring. The Hiking Boots are useful to ensure that your feet’s safety and cleanliness from the dust, dirt, and gravel along your trail.
- Always look for a boot which is comfortable. Never use a new or ill-fitting boot as it may lead to blisters on your feet and hamper your trekking.
- Choose a hiking boot which has a superior grip.
- If you have sweaty feet always prefer for a boot which has breathability feature.
6. Sleeping Tent
Sleeping Tent is another essential part of your Kilimanjaro gear. It helps you to get a good night sleep during your Kilimanjaro camping.
Always chooses a Sleeping Tent which is ultra-lightweight and easy to pack and carry. A sleeping tent is useful to keep harsh weather and rains of Kilimanjaro when you rest to acclimatize after your hike.
- Always choose a sleeping tent which is waterproof so that you don’t have to worry about rain or heavy snowfall.
- Pick a sleeping tent that is stable and strong that provides durability against the strong wind at the high elevation of Kilimanjaro.
- Choose a sleeping tent that has an automatic pop-up system.
- Chooses a sleeping that offers protection against harmful UVA + UVB sun rays while keeping the interior warm.
Hope that the above-mentioned information about Kilimanjaro Gear is useful in your Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro preparation. However, if you have any queries about Kilimanjaro Climbing Gear or want to rent it for your Kilimanjaro trek you can contact us today! We at AT Gear will be more than happy to help you! For more info visit us @ atgeartz.com